Re: GNU FDL

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 09:53:54AM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Documentation isn't software.  Neither are conffiles, icons, etc.

When I buy software, all of that is part of what I buy. Foldoc says
that one definition of software is "programs plus documentation though
this does not correspond with common usage." In any sense interesting to
me (and hopefully Debian), icons and the other miscellany that make up a
working program are part of that program, and need to be modifiable with
it.

> In the
> meantime, we hold to the spirit, not the letter, of the DFSG, and
> acknowledge that things are not quite as clear as they should be for
> now.

How can you claim that the DFSG, in spirit or letter, encourages
non-modifiable material of any sort? Even patch clauses are labeled
a compromise by the DFSG.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.