Re: The GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) and /usr/share/common-licenses

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Well, since there are these other issues being raised
>  (specificcally, the concern that GFDL may not meet the DFSG [I happen
>  to disagree with that statement, for what that counts for]), we
>  should wait for the dust to settle down before moving things into an
>  area designated for common, free, licenses, don't you think?

Well, if you insist ;-)

Actually, on more reflection, (asside from whether or not the GNU Free
Documentation License is "Free") the whole purpose of the common license
area was to reduce the file space consumed by multiple copies of the same
license. Thus if two packages use the license it is cost effective to
place a copy into the common area.

With respect to the "freeness" of this license. It would be a real shame
for Debian to declare this a non-free license, as much of the GNU
documentation currently making the move to this license would have to go
into non-free...

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-