Re: Python module for debconf

Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Josselin Mouette <josselin.mouette@ens-lyon.org> writes:
> > Being tired of the shell, and not knowing perl enough, I have written a
> > little python module for debconf.
> >
> > I haven't tested it thouroughly, but it seems to work fine. Of course, I
> > intend to use it, but if people are interested, it can be found at :
> > http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~jmouette/debian/
>
>     I personaly prefer to use Python rather than Perl.
>     However, there is a drawback in using a python-debconf:
>     as long as python is not essential, you will force people
>     to install python in order to be able to install other
>     packages (since there will be a dependency on python-debconf).
>
>     Currently, the advantage of using the shell or the perl
>     interfaçe to debconf is that perl-base is essential, so
>     it will necessarily be installed on your system.

What's worse, you can really only safley use essential and base packages
in debconf config scripts. You can of course depend on python and use
this python module in your postinst, after dependencies are met, but
depednencies (and even pre-dependencies!) will not be guaranteed to be
met when a package is preconfigured.

Aside from this problem, I wouldn't mind including the module in debconf
after woody is released. It looks nice.

--
see shy jo