Re: Init with user db in local LDAP (slapd): On service dependencies

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 07:07:19PM +0000, Rob Bradford wrote:
> Although i see your reasoning and example, i'm not sure why you are not
> happy to keep system accounts stored in /etc/passwd, as afterall they
> refer to the local system. There doesnt seem to be any great benefit
> keeping these accounts in a distributed database such as ldap, or is
> there? I'm implementing a ldap directory server for user data and i had
> planned to keep system accounts local.

NFS????

Actually, I agree with Rob. I think of these users as internal to the
individual system.

It seems silly having to rely on an external computer just so processes
can start on the local computer.

I think it is a good case of the KISS principle.

It also means that dpkg maintainer scripts will continue to work
properly.

Then again, I have never been entirely happy that system "users" share
the same namespace as normal users...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>