Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 04:01:16AM +0100, Amaya wrote:
> Meanwhile you can apt-get it at:
>
> deb http://people.debian.org/~amaya/debian ./
> deb-src http://people.debian.org/~amaya/debian ./

My wife just tried mencal, and she is quite pleased that you are packaging
this.  For medical reasons, she needs to be able to keep track better than
she has been.  Her cycle is irregular.  I have heard people mistakenly state
in this thread that mencal would only be useful to those who are regular.
This is false.  For one thing, the tool allows you to conveniently make any
adjustments as the months progress.  For another, we would argue it is even
*more* important for women like my wife to use a tool like this, as it is
rather easy to lose track when you are irregular.

We do have one problem to report, and I hope either you can resolve this, or
it can be forwarded upstream and fixed soon.  After setting the starting day
with -s and saving the configuration with -R, mencal no longer responds to
any switches (not even the help switch).  It is possible, by specifying the
-f switch to get mencal to skip the saved configuration file, and it will
obey switches again. The .mencalrc file is of limited use until this can be
fixed.  For instance, its presence prevents you from viewing a month that is
not the current month.

Regards,
Ben Armstrong