Re: lm_sensors and alsa for _not_ custom built kernel?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 10:28:32AM +0100, Arne Nordmark wrote:
> I just successfully built lm-sensors from the kernel-headers package on
> a woody system. From /usr/src/modules/lm-sensors I used
> fakeroot ./debian/rules KSRC=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-686
> KVERS=2.4.18-686 KDREV=2.4.18-4 kdist_image
>
> I think it would be a good idea if kernel-package could do this
> automatically, or at least that it would be documented how to build
> modules form debian kernels. On the other hand, for example the sparc
> architecture does not even provide separate kernel-headers for the
> different kernel-images found in the debian archive.

Are you sure it can't????

Are you sure this won't work:

1 login as root.
2 upack modules into /usr/src/modules.
3 unpack kernel (anywhere) and build using make-kpkg, eg:
  make-kpkg kernel_image
4 in the same directory:
  make-kpkg modules

and for all the modules I have looked at, it just works...

If you find a module where it doesn't work, please file a bug.

The only limitation I have found is you need to ensure that
the unpacked module source is up-to-date.

(note: for some reason pcmcia-modules requires you really are root,
otherwise it won't build. Even if you have write permission to
/usr/src/modules. Don't ask me why...)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>