Re: /etc/mailname

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 02:52:49PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > > There is not a single package which is the only responsible for it>
> >
> > Ok So as I understand it, this file should be owned by the MTA.
> > It is disapointed to see a file in /etc owned by nobody, especially for
> > one so much used.
>
> What is it with "owning stuff"? Why are you so attached to dpkg -S working?
> Nobody ever said all files must be known to dpkg -S.

Because I had in mind that on a debian system all files (except users
one) come with a package.
A few upgrades ago this file was changed and broke 'bug' and other and
It was not clear to me who was responsible for that.
there's no man for this file so I logically go for the doc in the
associated package. ...

I would said : what is it with "NOT owning stuff"? Why not a package
like the proposed mta-common ?

Christophe