Re: /etc/mailname

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:40:57AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, christophe [iso-8859-15] barbé wrote:
>
> > I can't find which package is responsible for this file :
> >
> > /etc# dpkg -S mailname
> > dpkg: *mailname* not found.
> > /etc# ll /etc/mailname
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           10 Jan 29 22:40 /etc/mailname
> >
> > but this file is used by 'bug -d' and some other debian tool.
> >
> > strace bug give me :
> >
> > stat64("/etc/mailname", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=10, ...}) = 0
>
> There is not a single package which is the only responsible for it, since
> policy says:
>
>    If your package needs to know what hostname to use on (for example)
>    outgoing news and mail messages which are generated locally, you
>    should use the file /etc/mailname. It will contain the portion after
>    the username and @ (at) sign for email addresses of users on the
>    machine (followed by a newline).
>
>    Such package should check for the existence of this file when it is
>    being configured. If it exists, it should be used without comment,
>    although an MTA's configuration script may wish to prompt the user
>    even if it finds that this file exists. If the file does not exist,
>    the package should prompt the user for the value (preferably using
>    debconf) and store it in /etc/mailname as well as using it in the
>    package's configuration.

Ok So as I understand it, this file should be owned by the MTA.
It is disapointed to see a file in /etc owned by nobody, especially for
one so much used.

> > Related question why debian softs like bug and dch don't use
> > /etc/email-addresses ?
>
> The file /etc/email-addresses is exim-specific so packages are unlikely
> to use that file directly. Check your exim configuration if exim is your MTA.

That is a good reason.

Thanks,
Christophe

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
--Joseph Wood Krutch