Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar
- To: Glenn McGrath <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar
- From: Martijn van Oosterhout <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:00:52 +1100
- Message-id: <20020325190052.A30386@svana.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Glenn McGrath <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reply-to: Martijn van Oosterhout <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <20020325041842.GB430@galacticasoftware.com> <Pine.LNX.email@example.com> <20020325054230.GA680@galacticasoftware.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20020325061813.GB750@galacticasoftware.com> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 06:08:20PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On 24 Mar 2002 22:23:28 -0800
> "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <email@example.com> wrote:
> > "Adam Majer" <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> > > This is NOT about _censorware_ or other crap like that. It about
> > > making the Packages file less than a gig. Why the hell do we even have
> > > 386 as a platform? or m64k? When you need tons of ram just to load
> > > Packages?
> > Do you have suggestions about how to fix that problem?
> The "Packages" file should just be a list of package names and versions,
> nothing else. The metadata for a package should be downloadable as a
> seperate file, maybe integrated into <package>_<version>.dsc
How about just:
Splitting each package will fill the archive up with thousands of little
files. Then, to actually get a list of all the descriptions you'd have to
try to download *hundred's* of files.
What is the package-description change rate? Would it be sufficient to
generate a master file once a month and then a file which gave just the
changed ones since the beginning of the month.
Ofcourse, the real solution is rsync, but that's not going to happen.
Martijn van Oosterhout <email@example.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/
> Ignorance continues to thrive when intelligent people choose to do
> nothing. Speaking out against censorship and ignorance is the imperative
> of all intelligent people.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact email@example.com