Re: GCC 3.x?

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 11:31:05AM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 11:21, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > ... not to mention that GCC 3.1, which will be out about the same time
> > as woody, is both:
> >   - another ABI change, while they bugfix the documented 3.0 ABI
> >   - astoundingly better
> >
> > I suspect we will skip 3.0 entirely.
>
> This will at least give us a uniform "Have to change the ABI for
> everything" solution across all architectures, even ones which currently
> use GCC 3.0.
>
> However, I'm very interested: Just what is the "astoundingly better"?
> Can you point me to something that lists what sort of changes will be in
> gcc 3.1?

Not offhand, but there is probably a list in http://gcc.gnu.org/
somewhere - or will be as release gets closer.  I actually don't see
one.  There are substantial performance improvements, both for compile
time (preprocessor in particular uses substantially less RAM now) and
runtime.  Lots of miscellaneous new optimizations.

> And, finally, I've heard rumbles of this ABI change being the last, or
> something. (I don't remember where.) Is this true?

Hopefully.  (See my other message.)