Re: GCC 3.x?

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 05:29:34PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > ... not to mention that GCC 3.1, which will be out about the same time
> > as woody, is both:
> >   - another ABI change, while they bugfix the documented 3.0 ABI
>
> Bugger. What are the chances of gcc 3.2 having yet another ABI?

Possible but relatively small.  It will probably have a new libstdc++
ABI as development continues, but allow interlibrary calling without
recompilation otherwise.

The difference here is that GCC 3.0 had a rewritten ABI, which had
never before been implemented in any compiler (but is planned to be
implemented in others, e.g. Intel's, I believe.  Maybe it has now.).
GCC 3.1 is merely fixing bugs in that implementation, which
unfortunately broke compatibility.  For instance, there was a change in
which temporary objects were destroyed by callee where they used to be
destroyed by caller (or the other way round.  I don't remember.).