RFA: drscheme -- Scheme Programming Environment

Package: wnpp
Version: N/A; reported 2002-03-23
Severity: normal

Hello all,

I'd like someone to take drscheme off my hands. When i adopted this
package I was TA for a course that used drscheme, so I had some interest
in seeing this package succeed, but as I'm no longer TAing that course,
my interest is less. Now that i've successfully gotten the package into
woody, I'd like to pass it on to someone with more interest.

It is a good piece of software, but looking at its bug list
(http://bugs.debian.org/src:drscheme) it has its share of problems. Most
of its bugs relate to portability issues. The main portability problem
is that they have their own modified tree of libgc in the source that is
really old and doesn't work on most platforms. The other less difficult
problem is that drscheme has its own platform detection scripts, which
need to be modified slightly to support a lot of the architectures
Debian supports.

I tried to address some of these problems on the drscheme mailing list,
but there didn't seem to be much interest in addressing these problems.
They said that upcoming v200 would address these issues, but so far the
alpha versions seem to be more of the same.

I realise i haven't really sold this package for the next maintainer :)
However, if you like drscheme and/or want a nice little package that
needs some work, this is it. I really do think this a good piece of
software that deserves to be in debian, and i hope some others out there
think likewise.

I request an adopter for the drscheme package.
The package description is:
 This is a Scheme Programming Environment, designed for use within
 an educational setting.  The faculty and staff at Rice University
 developed this package to be used in programming curricula, as a
 supplement to mathematics courses, or for general programming
 instruction in a liberal arts setting.
 .
 It includes its own IDE (which runs under X) and is similar in
 some respects to Emacs (most noticeably in its keybindings).
 .
 It has an integrated help system and can run one of four
 modes (beginning, intermediate, advanced, complete).  Each
 level exposes successively more features and options to the
 user.  The goal of this configuration is to protect novice users
 from the more arcane behavior of Scheme under certain cases.

-- System Information
Debian Release: 3.0
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux apocalypse 2.4.16 #1 Fri Nov 30 14:38:38 EST 2001 i686
Locale: LANG=en_US, LC_CTYPE=en_US