Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Ben Burton wrote:

> Please.  Go read up on (present day) gay-bashing statistics in your typical
> western country.  It's all there, trust me.

If there is a strong correlation between jokes and hate crimes why isn't
the blonde community living in fear of daily pogroms?

> No, being offended is not always over-the-top.  But perhaps I fail to
> appreciate how funny the "us-vs-them" jokes are when *you* have your
> proverbial foot on the *other* person's head [1].

Nobody likes jokes about their own kind.  Like Apu from the Simpsons.  I
fail to see how that's supposed to be funny at all.  But the indignation
dies down quickly when I realize ITS A JOKE.  All in all being able to
laugh at other peoples' expense is worth a little discomfort.  And judging
by the behavior I've observed, most gays and other "oppressed" people feel
the same way.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>