Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

> > Does anyone really, really think that there's something gratuitous in
> > being offended by jokes about being "too black" or calling someone a
> > "faggot"?  Is that *really* over-the-top political correctness?
>
> Yes ... [snip] ...  It's really more
> about "us" than "them" and I don't see any evidence teling jokes correlate
> to actual lynchings etc.

Please.  Go read up on (present day) gay-bashing statistics in your typical
western country.  It's all there, trust me.  Hell, in some parts of the USA
the attitudes put forth in lesbian/gay jokes are firmly enshrined in law.

No, being offended is not always over-the-top.  But perhaps I fail to
appreciate how funny the "us-vs-them" jokes are when *you* have your
proverbial foot on the *other* person's head [1].

</rant>

Ben.

[1] Where "you" means the joke-teller; I of course have no idea what you
personally think about the matter.

--

Ben Burton
benb@acm.org  |  bab@debian.org

When the gods choose to punish us, they merely answer our prayers.
	- Oscar Wilde