Re: Background image collection

On 14 Mar 2002, Mark Eichin wrote:

> This gets back to the data-isn't-software thread.  (Or do people
> *want* debian packages of the USGS maps, so that xastir can suggest:
> them?  I have about 13G here, and that's just the northeast...)
Well, the packages are far from ready!  I hope that the
data section will start in the not so far future.  I just started
the thread before beginning any work on the data just to ask
what people think.  I do not really want to bloat the archive.
Perhaps you reread my first mail.

> As for screensavers, there's *already* a relevant package:
>   chbg - A tool for changing the desktop background image in X11
> for using such images.  Perhaps setting up a tool that would take a
> reviewed list of URLs and let the user select and download wallpaper
> easily would be more useful, and would let things like these images
> [which have no inherent need for "packaging", there's nothing
> especially important to wrap around them or index them or some
> specifically better place in the filesystem to put them...] stay on
> the web where they belong...
The Web images are of to poor resolution to give good quality background.
Web images might change their location.  People could have poor bandwidth.

> Also, what license would these pictures be under?  Here's a chance to
> do the next round of FDL rants but for pictures instead of text...
I'm looking for a reasonable free license for images.  Any hints?

Kind regards

        Andreas.