Re: Debconf broken

Tille, Andreas wrote:
> It's just brocken after su - ing inside a working ssh connection for a
> user.  I admit that it is broken and have no idea how to fix this, but
> this is OT in this thread.  On the other hand installation stops even if
> no display would be necessary at all.  (For instance I just tried to
> purge apt-listchanges in the first run because I suspected some trouble
> there and there was no need to display any Gnome frontend in this step.
> But it failed in the postinst while accessing debconf.)

debconf needs to start its frontend when it starts, even if the frontend
is never displayed.

> What information do you need?
> I have neither a drop down box for the question:
>
>    What interface should be used for configuring packages?  |Gnome   |
>
> nor
>
>    Ignore questions with a priority less than..             |medium  |
>
> Both are read-only boxes.  There is no drop down list to open nor the
> posibility to edit.

Well perhaps a screenshot and a list of all the gnome libraries and
debconf's dependnancies and so on. There's suposed to be a little down
arrow after those, and drawing it is not something that debconf does,
it's all done by the underlying libraries.

> > I suggest you read up on X authentication. However, this should not
> > cause any X client to hang.
> As I told you it hangs even if there is no client to start (at least not
> obviousely for the user).  Moreover debconf should handle this problem
> using an error message (at least) or an fall back (preferably).

Debconf goes a long way out of its way to detect broken X displays and
fall back. It goes as far as forking off test processes to see if the
display works. It does all it can, gnome does not offer much in the way
of control over how it uses the display.

You appear to be suing to root and getting DISPLAY set to something that
root cannot access. In all my tests, debconf detected that and fell back
to a text frontend.

root@silk:~>unset XAUTHORITY
root@silk:~>dpkg-reconfigure debconf -f gnome
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
debconf: (DISPLAY problem?)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog

--
see shy jo