Re: Debconf broken

Tille, Andreas wrote:
> debconf (user): trying frontend Gnome
>
> Seams reasonable for me because I just switched from the curses based
> frontend to Gnome because this would make sense when using gkconfig.
>
> This seemd to solve the problem:  If I do the installation directly on the
> machine in question (it's my laptop where I fiddled around while sitting
> in a train) all works fine.  But mostly I do installations on this box
> via ssh (when I'm at work or at home I use a normal keybord and bigger
> screen).  In this cases the Gnome frontend seems to cause the trouble.
>
> If I switch back to frontend "Dialog" (using my laptop) directly all
> went back to normal state using the ssh connection.

Well, you have something broken in your setup, or you have a really slow
network connection. After it prints the above message debconf tries to
bring up the gui interface, and if something causes it to block it will
well, block there.

> By the way the Gnome frontend seems to be a little bit broken. A
>      dpkg-reconfigure debconf
> does not present a list of available frontends.  It only has a single
> entry "Gnome" and I was not able to switch back to use this.

I cannot reproduce this. It's a drop down combo box.

>   1. The Gnome frontend might be unusable via ssh connections.
>      I use the careful 'might be' because I can not exclude a
>      missconfiguration on my side.  In fact I can start any X program
>      as normal user inside the ssh connection, but if I su to root
>      this does not work for any X application.

I suggest you read up on X authentication. However, this should not
cause any X client to hang.

> Joey, should I bother the BTS with this stuff to keep a record of this
> problem?

Not without far more details than you are currently providing.

--
see shy jo