Re: FYI: problems with spamassassin and procmail?

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:37:18AM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> Since my adoption of spamassassin to filter incoming mails I'm
> experiencing
> continuosly bounces by debian MLs. I finally received an occasional
> bouncing by focus-linux@securityfocus.com also.
> Reason for bouncing:
>
>   frankie@localhost
>       Child process of procmail_pipe transport returned 70 (could mean
>       internal +software error) from command: /usr/bin/procmail
>
> This is clearly for me due to spamassassin (never received before).
> Spamassassin is clearly a CPU hog (uptime ~ 40 at boot on my PIV 1.4Ghz with
> 128MB). Maybe this is due to some sort of 'cannot fork' error?
>
> I used something like:
>
> :0fw
> | nice spamassassin -P
>
> :0e
> {
>     EXITCODE=$?
> }
>
> :0:
> spam
>

> in my .procmailrc

Try using:
:0fw
| nice spamassassin -P

:0:
spam

(From /usr/share/doc/spamassassin/procmail.example)

This will cause no bounces. If spamassassin fails, procmail will recover and
mail will still get through (although unfiltered).

As far as speed goes, spamd and spamc will help immensely. All you need to
do is edit /etc/default/spamassassin and change ENABLED to 1, and add the
options you want to OPTIONS. (and then /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart)

Then change spamassassin -P to spamc in your procmail recipie.

--
Duncan Findlay