Re: upgrade from potato to woody

Stephen Stafford wrote:
> Following the advice I have seen around, I upgraded apt and dpkg first.
> Then dist-upgraded.  The only flaws that I could see at all was the lack of
> debconf, which I had to "apt-get install debconf" afterwards.

I think this will be fixed soon.

> Presumably apt-utils did not get installed because the only thing that
> appears to depend on it is debian-cd (which was not installed).  Debconf
> seems to rely pretty heavily on it to preconfigure packages though (or at
> least you get minor complaints about it not being installed), which begs the
> question why doesn't it list a Depends?  It doesn't even seem to have it as
> a Recommends or a Suggests.

Look again, debconf recommends apt-utils. It doesn't depend on it
because it works perfectly fine without it. Its messages to the effect
of:

debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed

Are not error messages. But it seems that I could make it print

debconf: the sky is blue

And people would still think it had printed out an error message, so
dunno.

see shy jo