Re: upgrade from potato to woody

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 03:51:28PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> Look again, debconf recommends apt-utils. It doesn't depend on it
> because it works perfectly fine without it. Its messages to the effect
> of:
>
> debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
>
> Are not error messages. But it seems that I could make it print
>
> debconf: the sky is blue
>
> And people would still think it had printed out an error message, so
> dunno.

Maybe something along the lines of:

debconf: apt-utils isn't installed; okay, will do package configuration
later

would sound less like an error message.  I agree the existing message
doesn't sound like a fatal error, but it's hard to tell if it's an
important message ("You really should install apt-utils"), or simply a
passing informational message ("Oh well, no apt-utils installed, but
it's fine either way").

Incidentally, pardon the stupid question, but when this message is
printed, when will the packages end up being configured?  I got this
message a number of times when I recently dist-upgraded to woody, and it
didn't automatically happen later.  I can't remember the exact order I
did things now, but I probably did a dist-upgrade again and/or an
apt-get -f install.

--
    Vincent Ho
vwh@dingoblue.net.au

Every complex problem is a simple hierarchy of simple problems.