PostgreSQL: [Re: DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive support?]

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 11:41, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> As part of this project, we want to be able to install Debian almost
> without any questions, and thus it is important for us that the
> packages can be installed using DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive.
> Several packages of the packages we plan to include do not handle
> this, and I've submitted a few bugs asking for the packages to support
> debconf.
>
>  postgresql #127960

The reason I have not attempted to use debconf is that I do not believe
I can afford to automate queries on postgresql installation.  The safety
of data is involved and I do not want there to be any chance of the
user's accidentally deleting his data through reliance on an automatic
process.

If this really becomes a problem, I could abandon my current policy of
attempting to do major upgrades automatically, and simply leave the
database untouched but needing manual intervention before it can be
started.  (Of course, this only applies when there has been a change in
the database format that requires a dump and reload.)

Perhaps other PostgreSQL users would like to comment on this?

     "This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will
      rejoice and be glad in it."           Psalms 118:24