Re: Package splitting and upgrades

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 06:35, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 10:22:23PM -0500, Scott Henson wrote:
> > > 1. You want to upgrade dpkg and apt first
> > >
> > OK OK... isnt everyone forgeting something.  Namely, apt-get
> > dselect-upgrade.  This handles all deps and recomends just like
> > dselect.  It has worked perfectly for me... Maybe Im wrong, but this
> > should be put in the release notes and should be used instead or
> > inconjunction with dist-upgrade.  Am I wrong?
>
> Do you know if this handles or at least alleviates point 1 quoted above?

Ummm... no I do ot believe it does.  But ever since I discovered that
little gem, which was hidden in the man pages, my system has run better
and I am pleased with what it did in general.  From what I can tell it
does the exact same thing that dselect would do if you went in there and
did an upgrade, except it does it from the comand line.  Maybe people
should be told to use dselect-upgrade instead of dist-upgrade.  It would
at least fix a few problems that exist.  I think dist-upgrade was
intended to keep a system more minimalistic.  Most people would be
better suited by dselect-upgrade.  I think there should be atleast a
note about this in the release notes.  I remember the first time I used
dselect-upgrade I had something to the effect of 80 new packages
installed.  People should be warned of this too, but I believe most of
the packages helped the system as a whole and with how cheap disk space
is these days it didnt hurt anything.  Well this is just my opinion.

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu