Re: Package splitting and upgrades

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 09:29, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> We did so in error. It is time to write that down in the release notes.
> "apt-get" is NOT to be used like this, and its maintainer has told us so a
> number of times (and refused to change the tool so that it could deal with
> recommends and suggests sanely, because that is not in the charter for
> apt-get).
>
> Real life has teached me that:
>
> 1. You want to upgrade dpkg and apt first, unless the release notes tells
>    you something else.
>
> 2. You want to upgrade debconf and make sure perl and glibc are ok after you
>    upgraded dpkg and apt.  Only then you may dist-upgrade the rest of the
>    system.
>
> 3. You must use dselect or aptitude or some other frontend to fix the
>    borkages using only apt-get will cause, from time to time (I use dselect
>    always).
>
> > You get shit for recommending apt-get, and you get shit for recommending
> > dselect...
>
> apt-get simply will not cut it BY DESIGN. I dislike this (I wish it would, I
> like command-line tools), but such is life.

OK OK... isnt everyone forgeting something.  Namely, apt-get
dselect-upgrade.  This handles all deps and recomends just like
dselect.  It has worked perfectly for me... Maybe Im wrong, but this
should be put in the release notes and should be used instead or
inconjunction with dist-upgrade.  Am I wrong?

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu