Preliminary SDL 1.2.3+cvs packages available

I have just uploaded to http://people.debian.org/~knghtbrd/ a set of
preliminary i386 SDL packages, compiled for woody.  If you use SDL
regularly or have packages that depend on it, PLEASE PLEASE test them!
There is a slight chance some packages may break with these debs, so I am
going to give it till Friday or so before I upload them to the archive,
just to give people chance to test them first.

apt lines for the lazy:

deb http://people.debian.org/~knghtbrd ./
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~knghtbrd ./

THE WARNINGS:

 - This undoes the changes Branden made back in October which altered the
   SDL ABI.  This means that apps using  SDL MAY NEED TO BE RECOMPILED,
   though the half a dozen games I have linked against the old libs just
   worked fine for me.

 - If something does not work with these packages, it's PROBABLY NOT my
   fault.  I don't believe anything using SDL in Debian mucks with the X11
   extension libs directly, but if your package or program does, it's your
   bug when it breaks, not mine.

 - GGI target support in the -all package has been disabled.  If you were
   using it for speed over the X11 target, use DGA.  Basically, the GGI
   stuff didn't work and Sam Lantinga tells me that it hasn't had anyone
   maintain it in the past year or more.  If you grok GGI, by all means
   send a patch to Sam or to me and I'll put it back, but I'm not going to
   leave a broken target enabled.

 - ALSA support in -all is still limited to 0.5, and there is no -alsa
   package yet (one has been requested though..)  Nobody is currently
   working on this upstream either.  It's on my todo list, but I won't
   hold up the packages for it since fixing the problem first involves
   learning both the 0.5 and 0.9 APIs at least enough to port the code.

 - I have no idea how these packages will behave on non-i386.  I assume
   they should work, maybe.  That's a lot of conditionals and with a
   chance that woody might actually be released sometime this year, we
   don't have time to find out they don't work two weeks from now.  If
   you've got a non-i386 machine and some CPU time to kill, please build
   them from source on your box and let me know if there are any problems
   as soon as possible.

Once again, THESE PACKAGES WILL BE UPLOADED FRIDAY if I don't hear back
about any showstoppers between now and then.  If after these things go in
I find that some package is broken because it wasn't tested, I will NMU
first if I can and worry about informing the maintainer of the problem
later.  =p

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>               This end upside-down

<knghtbrd> "Java for the COBOL Programmer"
<knghtbrd> who writes these things?
<raptor> people on crack
<raptor> and cobol programmers
<raptor> :)