Re: Outside of Debian (Re: Package splitting and upgrades)

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 02:17:38 -0400
"Lex Spoon" <lex@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> The tools support is very limited.  dpkg-scanpackages and
> dpkg-scansources are okay, but they, too, took some fiddling: you have
> to redirect the output to the correct filenames yourself, and you have
> to combine the -all package lists into each of your
> architecture-specific lists manually, for some reason.  Plus you have to
> arrange for them to run in each directory.  Why isn't there some sort of
> script around that will automatically update all the package files?

I have a script which does:

dpkg-scanpackages . . | tee Packages | gzip -9 > Packages.gz
dpkg-scansources . . | tee Sources | gzip -9 > Sources.gz

Which seems to work fine. I don't know what kind of complexities you
have found.
Would adding examples to dpkg-scan* manpages have helped you
at all?

regards,
	junichi

--