Re: Package splitting and upgrades

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> cum veritate scripsit:

> > When a package `foo' in potato is split in two for woody, `foo' and `bar',
> > it is considered acceptable that people upgrading from potato to woody
> > lose the functionality provided by `bar' and have to read the release
> > notes to know why?
>
> People should just use a proper UI like dselect or probably aptitude
> as well so they can handle Recommends and get proper upgrades.

Please, that kind of attitude is not helping us.

I've checked many build-depends, and I know that many have been
broken due to packages being split out, and package names
not signifying the change, etc.

Debian package dependency is not specified by filenames, but
the package name, therefore, if some binary moves out of one
package, packages that (build-)depend on the package name will
be broken.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4