Re: LSB package for Debian: final(?) release candidate

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 12:25:40AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Chris Lawrence wrote:
> > FYI: I have a release candidate of the lsb package (version 1.1.0-3)
> > available at:

> > http://people.debian.org/~lawrencc/

> This package contains a number of directories that are already in
> base-files. In particular, all the /opt crap. base-files already
> includes all that, at least it makes them on new installs. It does not
> force you to have them, and if you rmdir them it won't put them back.

> Do we need to worry about upgraded-from-potato debian systems that do not
> contain /opt and /etc/opt, and lsb packages that rely on these directories
> to exist? If people are installing lsb packages by converting them with
> alien, the resulting debs will include /opt if the package has files in
> /opt and it won't matter whether the system they are installed on has already
> been forced to have a /opt already or not. Same with /etc/opt. The only
> failure I can envision would be a package that did not include files in
> one of these two directories but tried to symlink or copy stuff into them
> by hand, if they did not exist.

Hmm, but one of our two primary recommended methods of handling
configuration files in native packages is by copying the files to /etc
in the postinst.  If /etc/opt is not guaranteed to be installed by
default, then any lsb packages would be unable to take advantage of this
approach.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer