Re: Popularity Contest Extension / Bugfixes

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 03:39:56AM +0100, Erich Schubert wrote:

> But even if you do not like this extension, consider having at least
> a look at the debconf scripts i made for popuplarity-contest and the
> three bugfixes included... ;) they're very simple.

I uploaded a new version with most of your changes, except the "task" one.
Thanks for the help.

> My idea is the following:
> People submitting package lists should decide whether their system is
> more a desktop or more a server system (or both).
> Based on this, we could try to separate woody the following way:
>
> CD 1-2: most imporant packages
> CD 3:  Packages with little relevance to desktop
> CD 4:  Packages with little relevance to servers
> CD 5+: Packages with little relevance to either

I don't think letting people self-select themselves into a particular group
is the best way to do this.

It would probably be better to simply auto-correlate packages using some
clever statistics; for example, most people running servers are running
nfs-kernel-server, samba, and apache; what packages are most often installed
at the same time as one of those?  You can do similar things with the KDE
and Gnome packages, or if you do some _really_ clever stats, automatically
subdivide them into groups.

You could use the graphviz package to help figure out what's going on.

In any case, manual selection of your "task" is probably not needed and is
much more error prone.

Have fun,

Avery