should a postinst script create config files?

Hello,

is it a good way to create config files with postinst scripts? I allways
have some machines show a different behavior because i installed them
with different postinsts. For example the /etc/ssh/sshd_config: there
was a change in the ForwardX11 option, and i didn't recognised it
because in the scripts is allways something like if [ ! -e <conffile> ];
then <create file with contents of script>; fi. I don't have any chance
to recongnise the change in the config script! Okay I can read
changes.gz, but for all packeges!!?

I think creating files in that way is very dirty and we should try to
avoid that. They should be shipped as _real_ config files in a deb
package.

What do you think?

Maik

--
Maik Busch                  -o)              maik.busch@web.de
Oldenburger Str.28           /\              +49/30/39494219   (home  )