Re: Trying to rebuild all of Debian Packages

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 02:26:11PM +0100, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > I think every package should have a Build-Deps field, which must be
> > empty if the building of the package does not require any
> > build-essentials.  That way, it can easily be seen whether for a
> > particular package Build-deps have not yet been implemented are are just
> > empty.
>
> Do we list an empty Depends field for packages depending on nothing but
> essential packages? I don't think we should do that with Build-Depends
> either.

I agree.
We can behave with source package in the same way as we behave with binary
package. We have build-essential, let's use it.

If the package does not build, there is a serious policy violation.

Just a thought, but...
How about make maintainers upload only the source package? Once uploaded, the
packages may be builded by auto-builders, and checked with lintian; then we
accept only those packages that successfully passed this process for all the
specified architectures. Errors can be detected in the building time and
mailed to the maintainer.
In this way a package will need more time to be accepted and installed, but
this process will surely higher the quality of the distribution.
I understand that this may not be feasible for some package, but this can be
done for most of them.

Have Debian enough resources to do this?
I hope so, and I'd like to contribute/work on this...

cheers,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have