Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 09:29:47AM -0500, "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> > Previously Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > BitKeeper. Wait, that's not DFSG. Dang.
> >
> > Subversion. Damn, not in Debian.
> >

> What about this arch thing that recently got uploaded?  Anyone try that?

  I looked at it a bit this weekend.  It looks interesting, and it could
potentially be useful for us.  I haven't completely gotten my head around
it yet, though.

  One nice feature is that it supposedly makes it very easy to maintain
separate repositories for the same project, find diffs between them, and
merge them back together -- so, eg, Debian could have a master repository
that the developers would periodically merge into to do a "release".  If
upstream used arch as well, even more interesting possibilities would be
opened up.
  However, I only partially understand how it works at the moment, and
so I can't really say exactly how well the above would work in practice.
Also, I'm not the greatest CVS wizard in the world, so I can't really say
if this would already work with CVS.

  The one weird thing about arch is the remote access: as far as I can
tell, both anonymous and non-anonymous network arch goes via FTP.  There
doesn't *seem* to be any provision for scp or any sort of encryption for
authenticated connections, or for HTTP for non-authenticated
connections.
  But it may be that there's something buried in it that I haven't
found yet.  Also, for Debian's purposes, we could use gpg-signed
"patchsets" sent to a bot via email.  (patchsets are arch's diffs; they
include stuff that normal diffs don't, such as renaming of files)

  Daniel

|                  Wisdom is one of the few things                            |
|                  that looks bigger the farther away it is.                  |
|                    -- Terry Pratchett                                       |
\------- Listener-supported public radio -- NPR -- http://www.npr.org --------/