Re: kissing exim

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 05:59:31AM +0000, Anthony Rowe wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Debian installs with Exim as the default mta but many users (especially
> dial-up users) only need the mta to hand their mail to a smarthost.
> sSMTP is easily configured to hand over outgoing mail to an ISP's smtp
> server, since that is the only thing sSMTP does. Exim is very difficult
> to configure to do this (even by selecting option #2 for dialup in
> eximconfig).

Not true, exim does this very well. I have experienced no problems there.
Maybe the install process for exim should handle this case better, since it
*is* generating the config file out of nothing.

> Could sSMTP be installed by default (or at least be recommended as an
> option during the install process) for dialup users, in case they may
> wish to use an mua like *mutt* (which needs an mta to hand off outgoing
> mail to a smarthost), but who don't need the bloat or the config file
> headache that they will get if they try to use the featureful Exim to
> perform this one, simple task?

While I wouldn't mind it being an option, I don't think it should be the
default. ssmtp is not really a mailer in the true sense of the word and it
does need some configuring of it's own.

I think it's fine as it is.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>