Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:28:04PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> * Why does Debian take so long to release?
>
> To be blunt: because we use goal-oriented releases, have almost no form of
> release schedule to abide by, and we allow mushrooming/goal-creep to run
> pretty much unchecked. These are all technical and social choices - but
> they have significant technical implications, which tend to amplify each
> other when combined.

I dont think having "goal-oriented releases" is bad. Nor do I think not
having a release schedule is bad.
What I DO think is bad, is the choice of goals for a new release.

Pick the goals for a release more carefully, and then releases get a whole
lot easier to make.

Along those lines, a more complicated yet more flexible release plan
could be:
  Always plan two releases simultaneously.

  The first one being for a near-term,
     "we can achive these goals relatively quickly" release,
  and a longer term
     "Wouldnt it be nice if we had a whole new foo,  and a revamped bar
      to match, and a completely new kernel, and a new installer, and....."

  This allows for the near-term release to get completed in a timely
  manner, while the status of the long-term release can fluctuate
  wildly. And that's okay, because after the near-term release is
  completed, another set of goals, for another near-term release,
  can be put together.