Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> cum veritate scripsit:

> > I think that a shortened release cycle could help us.  As it is now, it
> > is basically "go until the release manager says stop".  Instead, if we
> > commit to freezing after 6 or 9 months of development, then spending a
> > couple of months fixing the frozen distribution, I think we could still
> > keep our high quality stable releases, but not have them be so out of
> > date.
>
> So, it's freezing after a while and being frozen for a while. Isn't that
> _exactly_ what we were trying to do all these years?

Something that I liked about them, and tried to implement in Debian:

They have a build cluster for all of FreeBSD, which seems to be
rebuilding the whole archive every once few days (and it
takes two days to rebuild, it seems)

They were listing ones which don't build, with some analysis of the
build log.
(and yes, after looking at 5000 build logs, I realize there is a
pattern in build failure, which could be automated in a test
like lintian)

That I'd like to implement in Debian.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4