Bugs that affect YOU

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 12:40:34PM +0100, Peter Makholm wrote:

> Has anyone made a more streamlined script to see bugs for packages
> installed on you own system?
> [...]
> I guess you could make a much better way with the debianbts.py module
> from reportbug, but I don't write python. (I could learn it, but not
> now)

Heh.  A few hours before you wrote this message, I wrote such a script and
mentioned it on #debian-bugs during the BSP.  It is in fact python, and uses
debianbts.py from reportbug.  It reads data from popularity-contest to get a
rough idea of which packages you actually use, and gives you an incremental
list of bugs to examine.

The idea is to direct your attention to (currently RC) bugs that:

- You have an interest in, since you would not want the package to be
  removed from the release

- You might know something about, since you use the package

A side effect is that a lot of attention could be directed toward packages
which are used routinely on everyone's system, which is as it should be.
That list bears some resemblance to the current list of base packages.

The trouble is that the current BTS would probably fall over if everyone did
this.  doogie has some very promising code which allows for fast, flexible
queries which would make this a non-issue, but it is not in production yet.

For that reason, I'm inclined not to encourage folks to use such a program
unless someone (who knows better than I do) thinks that it is OK.

--
 - mdz