Re: Joe [and MANY others] doesn't delete its config directory[ies] on purge

Adam Majer wrote:

The serious severity implies the package shouldn't be released unless this
bug is fixed. I don't believe this is the case :)
It makes the /etc a junkyard if you install many packages with this bug..

Your complaint is so trivial, why dont you just let the maintainer take what action they see fit? I think overzelous removing in /etc/ is dangerous in some cases and could cause users to lose configuration data they thought would be left. Are directories considered conffiles? Or are only files under directories considered conffiles?

Perhaps you ought to write a script that checks for directories under /etc that don't have any conffiles in them and arent in a local 'exclude me' file, and delete them.

Comparing it to windows is a complete waste of time. Windows doesn't have resources to identify what you can/can't delete easily, whereas debian does. (Is the package of that name installed, are there any existing conffiles in that directory, do I have this in a local exclude-me file)

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org>