Re: Joe [and MANY others] doesn't delete its config directory[ies] on purge

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 06:01:18PM -0600, Scott M. Dier wrote:
> Adam Majer wrote:
>
> >>The serious severity implies the package shouldn't be released unless this
> >>bug is fixed. I don't believe this is the case :)
> >It makes the /etc a junkyard if you install many packages with this bug..
>

> Your complaint is so trivial, why dont you just let the maintainer take
> what action they see fit?  I think overzelous removing in /etc/ is
> dangerous in some cases and could cause users to lose configuration data
> they thought would be left.  Are directories considered conffiles?  Or
> are only files under directories considered conffiles?

For pete's sake, I said for "purge" not for "remove". When I purge a
package I would hope that it will remove all of it's directories that are
empty. You could use rmdir which would not remove non-empty directories.
Or even debhelper but that doesn't appear to be work for some reason, at
least last time I checked... :(

I was writing to debian-devel as joe is _NOT_ the only package with this
problem. I wanted to address this before woody gets released. The problem is
trivial.

> Perhaps you ought to write a script that checks for directories under
> /etc that don't have any conffiles in them and arent in a local 'exclude
> me' file, and delete them.

As Josip Rodin indicated already,

find /etc -type d -empty | xargs rmdir

is one quick way..