Re: [RFC] GNU autoconf and dpkg-architecture

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 11:46:17AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> > I just want to be sure that we understand fully the ramifications
> > of setting --host.
>
> Which is a good thing. Lets wait for the reply from autoconf upstream, after
> all there is no point in setting --host and --build if what they documented
> for 2.52 is wrong...

It occurs to me now that we get all the benefits you initially cited
by just setting --build.  And that part is uncontroversial.  Setting
--host is convenient for cross-compiling, which is a good thing but
orthogonal to the issue of continual config.guess breakage.

Maybe it would pay to take two steps instead of one: first fix up
packages to correctly set --build (with instructions for dealing with
old and new autoconf conventions), and later tackle the
cross-compilation issue of setting --host.

-Steve

P.S.  I remain unconvinced that introducing a helper script for this
is a bad idea.  I thought everyone liked adding extra levels of
indirection!  I am imagining a script named "dh_gnuconfigure" that
does something like:

    #! /bin/sh

    if [ "$DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE" ]; then
	host_alias=$DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE
    else
	host_alias=`dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE`
    fi

    exec ./configure --host=$host_alias $@

[with the magic treatment of $@ to preserve quoting &etc]

A side-benefit of converting everyone to use dh_gnuconfigure is
that you can slip in the stuff for cross-compiling at a later
date.

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,