Re: [RFC] GNU autoconf and dpkg-architecture

On Sat, 09 Feb 2002, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> >       Update config.sub and config.guess to the ones in latest sid's
> >       autotools-dev, don't touch anything else.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but this seems like the safest and easiest route.

I'd rather have this crap done right than done the "easiest" way.
Easiest is for wimps, lazy-butts and NMUs where one is not really sure of
what one's doing.

You will notice, however, that just updating config.sub/.guess fixes an RC
bug (does not build on MIPS/MIPSEL) but does not fixes a normal bug (does
not abide to policy 'should' rule).  It is NOT as good a solution as the
other ones.

And it will require a new update to the package the next time config.guess
breaks.

  Henrique Holschuh