Re: [RFC] GNU autoconf and dpkg-architecture

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:59:08PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > Then we can fix dpkg-architecture, and get over it.
> And then I can see if I can purge config.sub and config.guess from Debian,
> or something equally satisfying :)

You won't be able to purge config.sub unless you plan to patch all the
configure scripts to stop invoking it.  I suppose, though, you could purge
it from autotools-dev, if it pleased you.

> > I am not so sure about specifying --build and --host unconditionally, but
> > you gave good arguments and I am not aware of a situation were it would
> > reasonably fail.

One thing that "configure" does differently when you specify --host=foo
is that it will use "foo-gcc" in preference to "gcc", and similar with
other build tools.  Presumably no-one has a compiler named "foo-gcc",
but you never know.  There could be nasty surprises in store.

by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,
by Taxi to the Airport,
by Frontdoor to the Taxi,