Re: kernel-linux-*, generic build process

Adam Heath wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Whot? That's silly. Dpkg. Dpkg-source. Two different things, two very
> > different sets of upgrade requirements.
>
> No, it's not.  For real security, we must support source packages built on
> unstable being extractable with tools in stable.

Bah. For real security we must have a clearly documented procedure[1] of
extracting debian source packages by hand. If dpkg-source v2 does not
support this, then it is misdesigned. If it does, then there is no
problem.

Historical precident: The transition to the "new source format" was not
delayed until a dpkg-source that could handle that format was in stable.

--
see shy jo

[1] ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/source-unpack.txt