Re: Debian is slower than time (was: adrian's 2.4.x packages)

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 12:45:29PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:48:09PM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, packages should comply with Debian Policy and Debconf is just like
> > debhelper, a tool.. Using whiptail and a good script one can go without
> > debconf quite easily for some questions.
>
> It is interesting that you mention Policy here, as every maintainer is
> expected to read and understand it.  The Policy Manual includes a link to
> http://kitenet.net/doc/debconf-doc/introduction.html, which explains the
> problems that debconf solves, and how it adds (and will add) functionality
> to the packaging system.

Yes, I know... But you do not need to use debconf to have prompting.. Granted,
using whiptail or dialog directly is not very good but there is no insistance
on using debconf (it's not even part of base).

> whiptail is no better than simple prompting, and in some ways it is worse.
> debconf, on the other hand, is a huge improvement.

True, debconf is like night and day compared to other scrips.

What I would like to complain about is that I just asked a question and got
put down for being stupid and not worth the packages I maintain (at least
the way it sounded in the message by "postmodern programmer" or something :).
I would have expected support in the replies I got. When someone says
"why not just use debconf" I immediatelly knew that I was looking for that
just forgot the name [I didn't have to look up what it is, as the
"postmodern programmer" seems to think].

Well, this is my 2 cents,
Adam