Re: It's Huntin' Season

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 11:55:53AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Hamish> That may be a mistake in policy then because in practice it is a must.
>  >>
>  >> You mean this should be an RC bug? Why?
>
>  Josip> This is actually an RC bug, because if one doesn't mark an
>  Josip> init.d script as conffile and doesn't install it manually from
>  Josip> postinst, they let dpkg happily overwrite it on each upgrade
>  Josip> and thus break the following rule:
>
>  >> Configuration file handling must conform to the following behavior:
>  >> * local changes must be preserved during a package upgrade, and
>  >> * configuration files must be preserved when the package is
>  >> removed, and only deleted when the package is purged.
>
> 	This is a real bug in policy, and I'll file it as such.

init.d scripts changes (like adding "exit 0" at the top, which is pretty
common) really need to be preserved across upgrades. I would definitely file
a serious bug against any package that wouldn't do this.

> 	So, having a README file, or a file not specific to the system
>  itself (well, NIS, bind, etc arguably affect more than this system,
>  but that is nit picking) would not make the system non-cmpliant.

Well, I can't disagree with that -- /etc/init.d/README, /etc/rcS.d/README or
/etc/init.d/skeleton don't need to be marked as configuration files or
conffiles.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.