Re: It's Huntin' Season

 Hamish> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 09:40:17AM +0000, malcolm@ivywell.screaming.net wrote:

 >> ^^^^^^
 >>
 >> > 10.3.2 doesn't say you must give the administrator some way to configure
 >> > the script. It says the script must be handled like any other configuration
 >> > file -- either it's a conffile, or it's handled by the package scripts.
 >> > Simple as that.
 >>
 >> Ah, but it doesn't say "must", it says "should".

	So it is not a RC bug -- but still a bug.

 Hamish> That may be a mistake in policy then because in practice it is a must.

	You mean this should be an RC bug? Why?

     configuration file
          A file that affects the operation of a program, or provides site-
          or host-specific information, or otherwise customizes the
          behavior of a program.  Typically, configuration files are
          intended to be modified by the system administrator (if needed or
          desired) to conform to local policy or to provide more useful
          site-specific behavior.
     Any configuration files created or used by your package must reside in
     `/etc'.  If there are several you should consider creating a
     subdirectory of `/etc' named after your package.

     If your package creates or uses configuration files outside of `/etc',
     and it is not feasible to modify the package to use the `/etc', you
     should still put the files in `/etc' and create symbolic links to
     those files from the location that the package requires.
     Configuration file handling must conform to the following behavior:
        * local changes must be preserved during a package upgrade, and
        * configuration files must be preserved when the package is
          removed, and only deleted when the package is purged.

	So. Files that change program behaviour need to preserve user
 changes. Files under /etc/ that do not change program behaviour do
 not need to preserve user changes, and there is nothing I can see in
 policy of the FHS that says non configuration files can't live in
 /etc.

	Seems pretty clear, doesn't it?

	manoj
--