Re: It's Huntin' Season

>>"Steve" == Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

 Steve> At issue here is whether a startup script really counts as a
 Steve> configuration file.  If a script is in /usr, we don't expect
 Steve> local changes to be preserved on upgrade.  I don't believe
 Steve> that init scripts meet the definition of a configuration file
 Steve> by any stretch of the imagination.  Still, we have to face the
 Steve> truth that many users will think they can edit these files
 Steve> simply on the basis that they're located in /etc, a conclusion
 Steve> they arrive at by reading our policy and the FHS.

     configuration file
          A file that affects the operation of a program, or provides site-
          or host-specific information, or otherwise customizes the
          behavior of a program.  Typically, configuration files are
          intended to be modified by the system administrator (if needed or
          desired) to conform to local policy or to provide more useful
          site-specific behavior.

	When a machine starts up, a number of processes are started,
 and the behaviour of these processses, or whether they start at all
 (which changes the behaviour of my machine), is governed by the start
 up scripts. alsa actually loads and unloads modules from the kernel
 (changing the behaviour of the kernel in a marked
 fashion). bootmisc.sh is another nice place to hook things into. Or
 checkfs.sh. console-screen.sh. I could go on.

	If I put an exit 0 at the top of the script, I do not expect
 an upgrade to change that.

	manoj
--
 I don't care where I sit as long as I get fed. Calvin Trillin