Re: less packages [was Re: From debianplanet]

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 03:43:37PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 07:43:09PM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Really, though, they don't slow things down all that much. If they have
> > release-critical bugs when the time comes, they'll just be dropped.
> > What's primarily holding things up at the moment is the few packages
> > that we *need* to release with still being buggy.
>
> Were those packages buggy when we released potato? No?
> Then screw em. Do a release with the earlier versions.

What if:

  * the old package doesn't build on woody/sid any more for whatever
    reason
  * the bug was discovered after potato was released
  * rolling back to potato would destabilize the rest of the system
    (this is common in base)

It's usually more work to roll back bits of base to the last release
than it is to fix the current versions.