From debianplanet

Here's some nice suggestion.
I'm not yet a developer (I'll have my key signed soon)
A good way to work is to group packages and developer and appoint
someone as responsible for it's organization more or less the way Gcc
and other important packeges get done.
This way the organization problem will be split into smaller pieces
easier to handle

=========================
    Re: Adrian Bunk retires from Debian (Score: 0, Flamebait)
    by Anonymous on Saturday, January 26 @ 16:50:53 GMT
    "Democracy" - this is what's killing it. There is no one saying,
    "Hey, you are going to get this done in 6 months, because you're
    getting paid to do it and I'm your boss."

    There is no organization. There is no control. Nothing. Ya, ya,
    maintainers are just volunteers, but that doesn't mean you can let
    them ignore release schedules or not work on your packagers. If a
    rest home had a volunteer who just lounged around, ate food, cursed
    at the elderly people (in reference to some of you developers), and
    every few months or so took care of paper work due a month ago, then
    I bet anything that volunteer would be kicked out, and another
    found.

    Debian can't even do that, because there is no one to do the kicking
    out.

    This democratic system may have worked fine when Debian was young
    and small, but it's way too big now, with way too many users
    (equating to more requested functionally, more bug reports, etc.).
    Either Debian at least gets a *small* "council" that can make very
    big decisions (removing delinquent developers, mandating release
    schedules, deciding what features/packages can/can't go in, etc.),
    then we're just going to keep this huge pot of Debian archive files
    and apt-get, which is really all Debian is at the moment.

=======