Re: Two suggestions for woody release

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 14:48, Juha Jäykkä wrote:
>   To make it longer, yes we do, but possibly linked against newer
> libraries or otherwise uninstallable into a stable system. That is the
> whole point. Anyone can install XFree 4.1.0 from sid to potato, but that
> means upgrading about everything else, as well. It is no problem if you
> want to go to sid but I imagine there are many people who want to use
> stable (whether it be potato or, in the future, woody) for many good
> reasons but still want to install something not included in woody because
> it happened to have an RC bug at release time.

Well, what about this:
Instead of wasting developer efforts on maintaining a
"not-quite-stable-but-not-quite-unstable" package collection, those
resources could be allocated to fix the RC bugs and the packages would
be included in stable (woody).

I do see your point to some degree, but once woody is out, people will
be able to use the versioning features in apt - so they can choose to
upgrade only parts of their system to, say, unstable or testing.
I do recognise that these packages may be linked to libraries that need
to be upgraded as well. However, if you deviate from what's considered
stable, then you shouldn't expect to receive something stable. If you're
lucky, you might.

Cheers,
fabbe