Re: interesting times installing 2.4.17 in Woody...

Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com> wrote:
>> From: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>
[...]
>>> On the laptop, Keith's suggestion was different: to add ext3 to my
>>> initrd.  Using mkinitrd did the trick, and now my laptop is
>>> running ext3 on the root.  It sure would be nice if the initrd
>>> that came with current 2.4's after 2.4.16 came with ext3 in it, or
>>> if the base system built ext3 in entirely.

>> If you have ext3 in your fstab, then the kernel should work out of
>> the box.

> My point exactly: it didn't work for the root file system until ext3 was
> put in the initrd, as it isn't built into the base kernel.  It worked
> fine for other file systems.
[...]

Nope, ext2 and "other file systems" aren't in the default kernel
either.

The initrd is dynamically generated when you install the
kernel-image, including only the needed drivers for your personal
system. If you switch _later_ to another filesystem (or exchange your
scsi-controller) you'll have to regenerate the initrd _once manually._

OTOH if you install Herbert's kernel-image-2.4.18 next
week/month/... after your switch to ext3 the
postinst(preinst?)-skript'll see that you need ext3 for your root-fs
and include it automagically.

The whole point of initrd kernel images is that you've a small kernel
and customized small initrd instead of a big bloated kernel including
all kinds of filesystem-, ide- and scsi-drivers. (I think) there is no
default initrd-image shipped within the package which includes ext2,
if all your partitions're ReiserFS _ /your/ initrd would neither
include ext2 nor ext3.
               cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest _tin_