Re: Spam (Re: Urgent Investment)

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 05:39:12AM -0600, Michael Stroucken wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 05:05:45PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Come on, it's only a few pieces every so often. It's not like it takes
> > all that much effort to delete it. Actually a lot less effort than
> > typing the email you just sent, which could have deleted some 73 spam
> > emails (and I'm not even including the shift key you had to hit for the
> > *, ? and capital letters).

> 	Several pieces a day on this list recently, which is already hard
> to follow without the aggravation of viewing some html message to find that
> it isn't a user needing help, but a solicitation in Korean to buy a rice
> cooker.

Curious that a user sending HTML email to debian-devel asking for help
doesn't fall below your "either he'll figure it out or he's too stupid
to use Debian" threshold.

Which is not to say that I don't find the presence of spam annoying.
Spam on Debian lists now comprises the majority of spam reaching my
mailbox.  If the idea of moderating non-member posts would be
entertained, I'd be happy to help as a moderator.  I consider it a
worthwhile use of my time to push 'delete' once to spare several hundred
other developers from having to do the same.

> 	Considering countermeasures, I like the proposal on holding mail from
> unknown sources, but as we're all volunteers, I am rather sceptical on how
> that could succeed without the backlog eventually piling sky high.

It's certainly something we would want multiple moderators for, so that
we don't have unpleasant delays if "the" moderator is absent.  Since
this is only moderation for the purpose of spam prevention, the
moderator's job would really be quite minimal, anyway.  And we could
take several obvious shortcuts, such as always allowing non-member
posts with content-type: multipart/signed...

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer